1. Find a place of repose and Quiet
2. Make yourself of God’s presence through a brief prayer of thanksgiving and praise. Remind yourself of how God has been with you.
3. Read a passage of scripture (i.e. a psalm) deliberately and expectantly, reflecting on it.
4. Be still and listen for God’s voice.
5. Reflect on the following questions:
Is there any disobedience/sin in my life that is thwarting my relationship with God and others? (If so, name it confess it to God. Repent of the sin that is causing pain.)
Am I resisting the leading of God in any part of my life?
Am I worn out and weary, and do I need God’s special visitation in my life?
Am I a slave to a habit that I can’t break and is having destructive consequences on my life?
6. Allow God to lead you in praying. Ask the Holy Spirit about what you ought to say to the Lord. Now pray to God with your whole heart and mind and trust Him.
7. Close with the following prayer:
I am no longer my own but Yours
Put me to what You will.
Put me to doing. To suffering.
Let me be employed for You, or laid aside for You.
Let me be full. Let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things to Your pleasure and disposal.
And now glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
You are mine and I am Yours. So be it.
And this covenant now made on earth,
Let it be satisfied in heaven, Amen.